Los Angeles Career College is offering an exciting opportunity for those interested in beginning a new career as Pharmacy Technician. The course is designed to prepare students to successfully pass the National Pharmacy Technician Board Exam and directly enter the exciting field of pharmacy. Our program includes a well-blended mix of classroom, audio-visual presentation and hands-on experience at local pharmacies. Experienced, licensed pharmacists and technicians who are current practitioners in the field of pharmacy provide instruction.
What is a pharmacy technician?
A pharmacy technician works under the direct supervision of a licensed pharmacist, assisting in pharmacy activities that do not require the professional judgment of a pharmacist. Pharmacy technicians are the foundation of a pharmacy’s distributive and clinical functions.
Pharmacy technicians work in many different settings, including retail locations (such as neighborhood pharmacies or grocery stores); hospitals, clinics and outpatient centers; assisted living facilities; nursing homes; tele-pharmacies; and nuclear pharmacies.
Prerequisites for the course include:
- A high school diploma or General Education Diploma (GED)
- No felony or misdemeanor related to the sale of drugs. Traffic violations and any other issues must be cleared up before the externship. This is the sole responsibility of each student
- A history of vaccinations is periodically required to work in the externship
- Commitment to the rigorous 14-week course schedule
Job Outlook – Employment of pharmacy technicians is projected to grow 12 percent from 2016 to 2026, faster than the average for all occupations. Increased demand for prescription medications will lead to more demand for pharmaceutical services.
Now – 2026
Program Length and Duration
The program includes 300 hours of teaching, simulation and experiential learning, which takes place over a 15-week period. The lecture is blended with 120 hours of externship to help students to apply gained knowledge and skills in practice.
- The first 15 weeks are dedicated to lecture-based didactics and simulation experiences. Program hours during the first 15 weeks are Monday – Thursday, 9am – 2:00pm
- Next 5 weeks are devoted to externship at one of the offered pharmacy chains or local pharmacies. The externship hours are Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm
- The externship is followed by one week of extensive practice work to prepare the students for the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE). Exam preparation session is scheduled for Monday – Friday, 9am – 2pm
Certification and Licensure
Program graduates are eligible to take the Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) Exam through the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) or Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE) test through Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) to become Certified Pharmacy Technicians.
NHA CPhT Exam details:
- 150-question test (30 – pre-test questions)
- 3 hours to complete
- Can be taken at the LACC or at a PSI Testing Center near you
- May be administered online
NCCT PTCE details:
- 90-question test (10 – unscored questions)
- 2 hours to complete
- Can be taken at a Pearson VUE test centers near you
- May be administered online
Los Angeles Career College has partnership with Walgreens, CVS Pharmacy and many other local pharmacies to help you fulfill your externship requirements. The externship program offers the chance to students to gain experience in pharmacy tech that will make them more employable. Students will complete their externship before they graduate – smoothing the transition from classroom to workplace and helping to cement the skills they’re learning in the training program with hands-on experience.
Guaranteed Employment Opportunity
Yes, we do guarantee that after successful completion of our Pharmacy Technician course we’ll help you find a job within our career placement program.
Moreover, if we are not able to find an employment within 2 months after you pass the National Board Exam, we give you a $2,000.00 check as a guarantee fee.
For you to be eligible for the program, the following requirements need to be met:
- The course fee need to be paid in full, in case if it was paid through our financing program
- None of the lectures or clinical days can be missed
- Set of clinical hours need to be completed
The terms and conditions of our career placement program are as follows:
- The offered employment can be not only full-time, but part-time
- The employment can be any shifts offered
- It can be within 30 miles radius from our College
- The offered job can’t be quitted
- Misbehavior or late attendance can lead to termination of the career placement program, without the obligation for LACC to repay the $2,000.00 guarantee fee
- Medication errors or unsafe approach can lead to termination of the career placement program, without the obligation for LACC to repay the $2,000.00 guarantee fee.
Los Angeles Career College provides financing opportunity to all the applicants. Financing allows you to pay the course fee in monthly/ weekly installments in-house or through third-party lenders.
If interested in financing, please apply by filling in the following inquiry form below.